Responsible Adulthood Programme
During the Spring term of Year 9 students undertake a programme of study called ‘Responsible Adulthood and Sex Education’. The programme deals with the following subject matter:
- Puberty and development of the person
- Relationships, love, attraction and the ideal of Christian love
- Media influences in society today and the variety of attitudes to sexuality
- Responsible sexual behaviour and lifestyles
- Family planning
- STI’s and an understanding of HIV and AIDS
- Pregnancy and birth
- Domestic violence
- Issues surrounding sexual discrimination
The programme is delivered to your child as part of their Religious Education lessons ensuring that topics are dealt with sensitively and appropriately, whilst also providing them with the relevant facts and information, church teaching and awareness. It is important that you know that your child is discussing these issues at this time so that you are prepared for any discussions which may arise at home as a result.
Under legislation from the Department for Children, Schools and Families, parents have the right to withdraw their child from all or part of this module, in which case alternative arrangements would be made for them during these lessons.
If you have any questions about this programme please do not hesitate to contact the Head of RE at school – Mrs Lockyer.